Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sarcasm Detector Needed

If anyone watches The Big Bang Theory, one of the main characters, Dr. Sheldon Cooper, has this inability to recognize sarcasm.  Granted, he has a lot of the traits of Aspies, but this entry isn't about him.  Maybe I'll analyze that later.  However, he's the type who needs a sarcasm sign.

I don't get much of sarcasm.  Everything to me sounds literal.  So if I say "can I ask a question" and someone says "no" I may think they are serious until they do one of those smiles.  Then it hits me that the sarcasm sign is flashing.  However, it would have been nice to banter and not get stuck at a point where it is confusing.

Now, I wonder what a sarcasm detector would look like.  I can't draw out the image, but I can think of some features now:

  • Ability to tell if the sarcasm is meant as a good joke or a tell-off
  • Knowing if a response is appropriate, with a possible cue
  • A ding of approval when the sarcasm is employed successfully in return by the using party (like me)
  • If the sarcasm is directed in general, at you, at another person in the vicinity
  • A shock trigger if you actively question if the recent exchange was sarcasm
  • A pony just because everyone wants one
Okay, we can't really have one of those, but it would be nice sometimes.  A chance to have something freeze time or go off in the membranes telling us "YES, THIS IS SARCASM.  LIKE YOU'RE CORRECT."  Then again, not getting sarcasm has provided for some awesome moments of humor in my life, so maybe it's not so bad.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I could use a sarcasm detector also! I tend to take things literally, so I can relate to this, and I'm not on the Autism Spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more used to sarcasm now but I still struggle with identifying it. This is even with me living with my father, who is the real-life version of Dr. Perry Cox from Scrubs in terms of his sarcasm use. Still, its a matter of us observing our circumstances, learning, and reflecting on how we interact with others.

    ReplyDelete