I don't get much of sarcasm. Everything to me sounds literal. So if I say "can I ask a question" and someone says "no" I may think they are serious until they do one of those smiles. Then it hits me that the sarcasm sign is flashing. However, it would have been nice to banter and not get stuck at a point where it is confusing.
Now, I wonder what a sarcasm detector would look like. I can't draw out the image, but I can think of some features now:
- Ability to tell if the sarcasm is meant as a good joke or a tell-off
- Knowing if a response is appropriate, with a possible cue
- A ding of approval when the sarcasm is employed successfully in return by the using party (like me)
- If the sarcasm is directed in general, at you, at another person in the vicinity
- A shock trigger if you actively question if the recent exchange was sarcasm
- A pony just because everyone wants one