Sunday, August 29, 2010

What I Know Most About Movies

You know what the first thing I can tell anyone about a movie is?  Likely I'll give you the film's director, the distribution company, and maybe the lead actor/actress.  It's easy facts for me to recall, and something that has always held my interest.  Then again, I just like production logos in general.

Then comes the part everyone else knows...the plot.  I do have the movies that I love for plot, and could talk about them sometimes, like any NT could do.  However, I don't always get plot devices and sometimes my attention span keeps me from really tuning in.  Once I see an epic a few times it becomes amazing.  For instance,  I love the Akira Kurosawa classic Seven Samurai very much, but it took me a few times to really tune into that one since it runs 3:27, the longest movie I have seen.  Thus I rarely watch the whole movie at once, but when I recall this movie it's so fond.  I concluded it was the classic fight scenes, which predated some great martial arts movie scenes (I love martial arts fight scenes), and I related to the tempermental Kikuchiyo.  Problem is that I couldn't really discuss the movie on the fly while talking about specific scenes or each of the samurai characters, and not much about the village itself.

I do try to get into the plot sometimes, but I have a habit of either letting my mind drift or asking too many questions during the movie.  However, other facts are open for discussion to me.  If this Paramount movie was made during the blue screen era, or when they started using the new mountain in 1987...and then another new mountain in 2002.  Maybe it's which Sony studio released a movie; I used to duck from the Columbia Pictures post-1993 into as a kid because the giant "COLUMBIA" lettering looked imposing at first.  A few years later I was over that.  However, I start watching the beginnings of movies by each of these studios on YouTube and now I'm hooked...who needs an actual film?

The other thing I could talk about is the highest-grossing movies in the United States.  I have always thought that they should use tickets sold rather than dollars to determine movie records due to inflation, so it's cool that Box Office Mojo has an all-time adjustments page which I have nearly memorized from 1-20.  The site does its best to get an estimate of what the movie would gross if prices stayed the same lifetime to get an idea of how many tickets were sold, and it's interesting, to me at least, how the high grossers aren't so high.

Even NTs take interest in these sorts of stuff, but I think I pay more attention to those details more so than plots sometimes.  I could watch a logo marathon on YouTube if I gave myself the time...and I have before.  Scary, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment